Friday, May 21, 2010

Getting out of Dodge, Part 1

Flew out of BWI for the first time... on Southwest Airlines, also a first. 

The local MARC train from Union Station to BWI failed, so I jumped on the amtrak regional, which arrived in 20 minutes, followed by a 10 minute shuttle ride to the airport. Fast, but expensive ($25)

Apparently Southwest was the only domestic airline to show a profit in 2009. This shows in the service: cheapest ticket, the most efficient booking engine i've ever used and passenger loading procedures. Flying discount carriers (jetblue, Southwest, Ryanair in Europe) feels cheap and some unreal, for some reason.  This was no exception, even with the Business Select ($20 extra) upgrade I purchased while checking in. For 20 bucks, I got to be the sixth passenger to board the plane, a special security screening lane which substantively improved the process of being screened, a drink coupon I didn't use, and an extra .25 frequent flyer credit. 

I liked BWI and will not avoid it in the airport. My pre-flight airport dinner consisted of delicious pork tacos, acceptable chicken tea sandwiches, and a glass of shiraz, with wonderful service. 

I arrived in the Bradley International Airport  of Hartford at 10:30, 15 minutes early. 

I'd give the whole experience a B+. 

No comments: