Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Gurgaon

Flew up to Delhi from Cochin on a Spicejet flight. One of the worst flights i've been on in my life, terrible service and worth avoiding.

Landing in Delhi from Cochin is like traveling from Southern Spain to Warsaw. It's cold and foggy and no one is smiling or relaxed in the airport. My attempt at conversation with backpacking Norwegians sputters out. Geography seems to be destiny. I change my clothing and refrain from making further small talk.

My taxi driver reminds me of an unpleasant cartoon character, Ren/Stimpy mixed with Beavis or Butthead. He tries to swindle me out of 10 rupees for a toll i've already paid for and I resist. He laughs viciously and turns the music up all the way, so that my eardrums are pounded. I smile and feign dancing. Then he gets pulled over by the police and they write him a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. He has no idea where the hotel is and I end up directing him by sight/intuition.

Am staying in Gurgaon, which is bizarre and reminds me of a dirtier and less developed version of Kuala Lumpur.

I have dinner with two friendly Americans, one of whom works for a renewables start-up here in Delhi. The dinner is heavy, full of meat, and finished with a delicious dessert called Kheer (sp?).

No comments: