Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back in Kampala, briefly.

After an 8-hour bus ride from Kigali to Kampala, I awoke in a dirty, hotel room in Kampala. The hotel is called the "Vagabon guest house," but they told me they are changing it to Gabon.

I spent the morning trying to change rwandan francs, which was a difficult errand. After a few tries, I found a small forex shop that offered me 2.5 (the rate should be closer to 3).

On the way back to Vagabon, I bought some moisterizer at a beauty shop for my Kibuye sunburn. Kampala has loads of shops which seem to all have exactly the same products.

I also bought some coconut cakes from the back for an open truck (many bakers bring goods in the back of trucks) which were delicious.

My driver to Entebbe spent the hour complaining about the Ugandan political system: its corruption, lack of a fair justice system, tribal spoils-system of the Museveni's ministers, and the jailing of the political opposition. He also complained about the uselessness of microfinance to middle-class people, and even the upcoming preparation for CHOGM (the British Queen's visit). There wasn't much I could say, but I did suggest that he write a newspaper column or run for Parliament. He seemed uninterested in either course of action.

At Entebbe, I wandered around the duty-free shops, getting rid of Ugandan Shillings. They has a small bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label (the best scotch that JW makes) for $35, but the man told me it would be $2 cheaper in Dubai, so I refrained.

Finally, I boarded the Emirates flight to Dubai, which stopped first in Ethopia. The seats were covered in a strange, golden-greenish fabric, and the stewardesses wear red, circular hats with veils to the side.

The food was good (halal meals), and I watched city slickers.

1 comment:

Eli said...

"I did suggest that he write a newspaper column or run for Parliament." Your future as well?