Friday, August 31, 2007

Dubai

I landed in Dubai this morning at 12:15am. The first sensation was heat- it was between and 80-90 degrees outside when I got off the plane.

The airport was a mess of moving people, mostly from South Asia (India and Pakistan, I think). As we waited in the customs lines for 30 minutes, men in long white robes and headresses circled above us on the balcony, looking through the crowds. The customs agent was friendly and apologetic for the wait.

I got into a sleek, modern taxi, which quickly took to my hotel. My driver was an Indian from Kerala who had been in country for 5 months. He cross-examined me about my business, and was happy to hear about my Indian best friend, who is from the same area in India.

Entering the hotel room was an event of culture-shock: running hot water, carpeting, a beautiful bedspread, large t.v., fully stocked minibar, etc.

I took a hot shower, marveling at the strength and longevity of the water stream. After watching part of Babel, I went to sleep.

Awaking this morning, I discovered that my camera seems to have been lost/stolen while in the airport last night. After trying to call the airport lost and found in vain, I sulked over a large breakfast, which included fried cheese (delicious) sweet vermicelli noodles, excellent croissants, yoghurt, and scrambed eggs.

After breakfast I walked outside to a wave of heat- it is 106 degrees (f) here. Being on the streets is an effort in and of itself.

1 comment:

Michael said...

"After watching part of Babel, I went to sleep."

I had a similar experience.