Saturday, January 26, 2008

High-Speed Crime: A Narrow Escape

One spends a lot of time on motorcycles in Phnom Penh, as they are the primary means of transportation for much of the city.

During a ride today, another moto moved in close to us. In a swift motion, the long-haired second rider reached in toward my moto and grabbed at my blackberry. I instinctively tightened my grip, and his hand slipped away.

The assailant shouted to his driver, and they disappeared into the crowd of drivers ahead.

I slowly processed the event, and Toro turned around to ask if I was okay.

Lesson learned. No more text messages or calls when in transit, and I keep all bags in the city, with a tight grip.

There is a change in my experience of riding a moto. I see assailants everywhere, and I carefully monitor the boundaries around the cycle.