Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday Morning "Football"

Played football (soccer) with the DDD team on Sunday morning. It was a warm morning, and the field was slightly outside Phnom Penh, in an "Agricultural Community."

The team waited until the second half to put me in. By then, we were up 3-1, and I was given the position of striker. This seemed like sound strategy, as I haven't played in ten years and couldn't do too much damage on offense.

DDD team in red uniforms


I didn't play too poorly, though it took a while to get used to the flow of the sport. I had some good moments, some bad moments, and scored a (lucky) goal, which my teammates eagerly cheered.

Remarkably, the team passed to me frequently, despite a few missed passes. They were forgiving of my mistakes, helpful at keeping me in compliance with the rules ("Ben-offsides!"), and extremely complimentary after the game.

We won 5-1, and rode back to Phnom Penh, victoriously. It was a good morning.

1 comment:

kvbt said...

typical white male, scoring in indo-china