Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bloody Mary is the Girl I love

After my first day back in the NY office, I left work early to see South Pacific on Broadway (at Lincoln Center). It's one of my favorite shows, with short catchy songs and a smart fixation on interracial dynamics in the 1940's.

The show deals with many "ex-pat" questions that westerners living in Cambodia deal with:

Could move here permanently? How invested am I in my sense of home as the familiar place of upbringing? If I get involved with a local or foreigner, can I really see myself building a life with them? What's at stake for getting involved romantically for a local versus for an expat?

The male lead who played Emil de Beck, a french planter, had a deep, rich, voice. I cried when he sang "this nearly was mine. "

During the intermission, I ran into a guy I went to summer camp with, who I hadn't seen in at least ten years.

A strange juxtaposition: missing the foreign and enjoying the long-lost familiar.

No comments: