Monday, December 22, 2008

A lotta countries: my first conversation back

Touched down tonight in Newark at roughly 7:30pm, was out of customs by 7:45 after a very brief interrogation by middle-aged blond passport officer.

her (reading my entry card): UK, Sweden, Cam-what?, that's a lotta countries, whaddya do that you're traveling so much?

Me: I'm an NGO-er.

her: huh?

me: ya know, non-governmental organization, non-profit... we use computers to help break the cycle of poverty in Southeast Asia.

her: oh, sure. Why not break the cycle of poverty here?

me: Yeah, that's on our list of things to do. We figure start with the poorest people first, $50 a month makes a very big deal in these people's lives.

her: Okay, keep it up. Welcome back.

At customs, they asked me if I was bringing back any meat and then scanned only one of my bags (of four). It's the first time i've seen the US government do post-arrival luggage scanning.

No comments: