Saturday, December 13, 2008

Ghosts in Bangkok

I'm in the Bangkok airport waiting for my flight to Yangon. The airport is a ghost town, operating at half of usual capacity. The staff are tense, and nervous, completely on edge. The atmosphere is post-traumatic: as if at any point they expect another demonstration from the PAD with violence and trouble. My flight from Phnom Penh was delayed three hours, which suited me fine: they paid for lunch and I ended up hanging out with a world banker who is part of a new governance project in Cambodia. Smart British engineer, has been around the block in Asia for 30+ years.

After an easy flight, I got here and spent the next hour complaining about awful service and asking for a voucher or upgrade. They told me that they are consider upgrading my next flight (to Burma). Unsatisfied, and then I sucessfully argued my way into an hour using the internet in the business lounge, after a long empassioned speech about service levels and customer satisfaction.

I am tempted to raid the buffet, but I sense that they might arrest me.

No comments: