Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Buddha's Birthday


Today was Meak Bochea, a Cambodian holiday honoring the birth of the Buddha. It was also my birthday.

I had the day off from work, and was feeling a bit better. So I decided to go see the Killing Fields and the Toul Sleng Genocide Museum.

Appropriate, no?

The day began with Toro (my guide, Cambodian translator, friend) singing happy birthday to me, which was priceless.

Then we're off to La Croisette (on the river) for breakfast with Z and L, two great Chicagoans traveling through the region. We talked about the news, the main news items being:

-Obama's massive victories in Wisconsin and Hawaii.
-Fidel Castro Stepping Down.

Then, we zip away to the Killing Fields, a twenty-thirty minute ride outside of Phnom Penh.

No comments:

Blog Archive