Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What Do I Have in Common With Senator John Mccain?



Dysentery.

That's right, I have dysentery. Amoebic variety, according to the doctor at the Calmette hospital.

The consultation occurred in French (thank god for high school french classes), and she decided that it was Dysentery, not Giardia Lamblia, which was my own diagnosis.

The Wikipedia page on Dysentery is fascinating.

Some neat facts:

Buddha died from it. So did a bunch of french kings who no one cares about, Sir Francis Drake, Hernando Cortes (good riddens), Elie Wiesel's father, and Richard Wright.

And some other people I've never heard of...

Other facts stolen directly from wikipedia:
In the Woody Allen movie Annie Hall, Allen's character jokes that two leading intellectual magazines, Dissent and Commentary, had merged to form Dysentery.

Harrison Ford apparently suffered from it while filming Raiders of the Lost Ark in Tunisia; this partially resulted in his suggesting that rather than have an elaborate fight with an assassin, Indiana Jones should just shoot him - a now famous gag in the movie.

I am taking four pills twice a day. No milk, veggies, or hot/sour foods. I think i'm supposed to rest.

My previous experience with this is playing Oregon trail (the computer game). I lost of lot of people in my wagon to dysentery.

I don't Cambodia has a save-and-return-to-previous-area feature. But I'll look into it.

Comforting e-mails are welcome.

2 comments:

Eli said...

Geez, Ben. First you get to go to Cambodia. Then you get dysentery. Seems like you get all the lucky breaks.

Any theories on how you picked it up?

Lucien said...

aw, I'm sorry man! Though you're in illustrious company. Yeah, not Buddha and John McCain - me. I got it when I went to Pakistan. Practically inevitable though I drank only bottled water.

Blog Archive