Saturday, February 9, 2008

Friday Morning with the Police Chief

I am sitting in the Sihanoukville police station. It's 8AM on a friday morning, and I have a rotten hangover. The police chief is wearing polyester business slacks, a dark button-down shirt, and big black baseball hat that says "police." He's making tea and smoking intently.

He offers me a cigarette.

What am I doing here?

Last night, a small child stole my blackberry. I was sitting on the beach drinking Angkor with some fascinating journalist friends and a child came by to try to sell me some bracelets.

I initially ignored him until I finally replied: "tej, tej, tej" (no, no, no).

A minute later, I reached for it and realized what had happened.

Back in the police station, I fill out the "complaint form." The police chief studies it, like a high school english teacher reading an essay. I almost expect him to correct my punctuation.

Then, he asks for $5 for "the photocopy." This sort of thing is quite common in Cambodia.

I deftly reply that I have no money. He seems annoyed but amused, and pats me on the knee.

The tea has boiled, and he pours himself a cup. He doesn't offer me any.

He spend 20 minutes photocopying the form and my passport, and then comes back. We sit, looking at each other for a while.

I expect a speech, or something.

"Cambodia very poor," he says.

'Trau" (Right/correct) I reply.

As I'm leaving, he laughs and says one more word, wistfully

"Americans."

I get back on my moto bike, and we drive away in the morning haze.

2 comments:

Eli said...

Bummer.

Funny how the police dude went Robin Hood on you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the loss of the crackberry... perhaps this will persuade you to return to parchment and quill?

Blog Archive